Sunday, May 13, 2012

I Wanna Walk Like You Talk Like You

Now I'm the king of the swingers
Oh, the jungle VIP
I've reached the top and had to stop
And that's what botherin' me
I wanna be a man, man cub
And stroll right into town
And be just like the other men
I'm tired of monkeyin' around!



In North Sumatra, on the edge of Gunung Leuser National Park ,  you will find Bukit Lawang a small tourist village. In 2003 this town was hit by a flash flood caused by illegal logging. The flood wiped out the town, killing approximately 300 people and causing much damage to the park.  Fortunately the town has been rebuilt and the park has recovered because Gunung Leuser is one of two places in the world where you can find orangutans in the wild. 

The Town

As of 2000, the Sumatra orangutans have been assessed as being critically endangered and on the IUCN Red list as one of “The world’s 25 Most Endangered Primates” with less then 8000 still alive in the world it is estimated that of 5000 of these orangutans occupy and live with in the 8000 km conservation park area in Northern Sumatra.
It's not rocket science why man cub and I went here.
Mama & her baby

Me and our guides they like to stop every half hour

What goes up
Must come down...
Finally we had some time to kill on our last day and decided to go check out the local Elephant sanctuary near by. Our driver took us on the back roads, which required a 4x4 and moments of potentially being stuck and having to get out and push.  
Country side
 The country side was a mixture of decimation and beauty as you saw first hands just how stunning the jungle can be followed that would then be followed up by a turn in the road and you were confronted by the result of the palm oil industry and illegal logging.

Country side....
Right, wrong we could go back and forth all night but in the mean time  let’s get back the point at hand and that is :
Shubby do ou ou
I wanna be like you
I wanna walk like you
Talk like you, too
You'll see it's true
An ape like me
Can learn to be human too…….
Man cub & I

No comments:

Post a Comment